[Magdalen] Whoops. We've got the Southern slavers' battle flag in the Nat...

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Wed Jul 1 20:56:06 UTC 2015

From: ME Michaud

>If you were at St. Paul's K St., you might want to know that
>R. Cornish Martin died last weekend.

Oh MY -- RIP Fr. Martin  Thanks for relating this sad news.

I liked him a lot. He introduced me to Dix's "Shape of the Liturgy." When he
came to StPKSt, he was chaplain for GWU,  as he had been for Penn State before
the Diocese of Central Pennsylvania made it a separate mission from St Andrew's.
The Diocese of Washington switched the Chaplain position to the Fr. Abbott (who
had the most infectious smile of anyone I've ever met) of St Mary's -- the first
White Rector of the traditionally African-American Parish that was once located
across the Street from the all-White StPauls in the bad old days of segregation
in Episcopal Churches in DC. During WWII the Federal Government took St Paul's
property to build the GW Hospital as a wartime emergency measure. The move to K
Street came after the Federal Government built their new church on K Street in
1947 (not for mavens of separation of church and state <g>)..

I see his funeral will be at St Paul's on July 11 -- I'd like to go if I can.

It's interesting that he came from St.Andrew's State College; StPKSt has just
called a new Rector from the same parish -- Fr. Wall, who we've met on visits to
Penn State.

Our former Archdeacon in Brooklyn -- Fr, Peter Golden was a cousin of Fr.
Martin, and kept me up to date on his activities when we'd meet at St Mary the
Virgin evening festival services, but we haven’t seen him since All Saints Day.

Apropos of our recent seminary discussion, it should be noted Fr.martin received
his Divinity Degree from Howard University Seminary. No Nashotah stuff for this
Angle-Catholic Extraordinaire!.

Jim Guthrie