[Magdalen] Whoops. We've got the Southern slavers' battle flag in the Nat...

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 21:28:04 UTC 2015

Interestingly, Martin was in a class with me at Howard University Divinity school in 1987. I think he was probably working on a doctorate. At the time I didn't know anything about him, but that class must have been a sore trial for him! It was a class on worship, taught by one of the best teachers and preachers I've ever had--Kortright Davis, an Anglican priest from Barbados.
The class was basically an intro to worship from a Protestant perspective, and I took it because Davis was teaching it. There's see that the two German students were wondering what on earth  were six of us in the class: two of us from VTS, Martin, a German evangelical pastor, a pastor from East Germany, and one other student.

The class began on the day after the Super Bowl, and Davis walked in and started diagramming plays on the Board, explaining that football was a great example of liturgy! I could see by the looks on their faces that the German pastors were wondering what on earth they had gotten themselves into! Martin had one of those inscrutable faces, and I had no idea what he was thinking. I do remember noting that he never smiled.

It just occurred to me this minute that there were only white students in that class, though Howard has always been predominantly black. Maybe because it met in the daytime and was an elective class. The other class I took there was systematic theology, also taught by Davis. It was a very large class that met at night, and the three of us from VTS were the only white students.

From: ME Michaud

>If you were at St. Paul's K St., you might want to know that
>R. Cornish Martin died last weekend.

Oh MY -- RIP Fr. Martin  Thanks for relating this sad news.

I liked him a lot. He introduced me to Dix's "Shape of the Liturgy." When he
came to StPKSt, he was chaplain for GWU,  as he had been for Penn State before
the Diocese of Central Pennsylvania made it a separate mission from St Andrew's.
The Diocese of Washington switched the Chaplain position to the Fr. Abbott (who
had the most infectious smile of anyone I've ever met) of St Mary's -- the first
White Rector of the traditionally African-American Parish that was once located
across the Street from the all-White StPauls in the bad old days of segregation
in Episcopal Churches in DC. During WWII the Federal Government took St Paul's
property to build the GW Hospital as a wartime emergency measure. The move to K
Street came after the Federal Government built their new church on K Street in
1947 (not for mavens of separation of church and state <g>)..

I see his funeral will be at St Paul's on July 11 -- I'd like to go if I can.

It's interesting that he came from St.Andrew's State College; StPKSt has just
called a new Rector from the same parish -- Fr. Wall, who we've met on visits to
Penn State.

Our former Archdeacon in Brooklyn -- Fr, Peter Golden was a cousin of Fr.
Martin, and kept me up to date on his activities when we'd meet at St Mary the
Virgin evening festival services, but we haven’t seen him since All Saints Day.

Apropos of our recent seminary discussion, it should be noted Fr.martin received
his Divinity Degree from Howard University Seminary. No Nashotah stuff for this
Angle-Catholic Extraordinaire!.

Jim Guthrie