[Magdalen] A Note Re CofE and TEC History

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Thu Jul 2 04:00:15 UTC 2015

Scott, I've tried not to name-call, and I want to make it clear that I'm actually very fond of my former fellow-parishioners.  That affection kept me stuck to the place until the Late Unpleasantness with the warden and rector finally knocked me loose.

But a Funeral Society -- which is what a lot of small-town Anglican parishes in this neck of the woods really are -- doesn't merely fail to spread the Gospel; it actually impedes the survival of Anglicanism.  The combination of placid, self-satisfied, self-absorption and refusal to experience any sort of discomfort is counter-evangelical.  It's stale and airless and utterly resistant to the Holy Spirit.

BTW, the Late Unpleasantness resulted from the warden's fury at having her grammar corrected in the parish budget, which she'd asked me to edit.  She had substituted the plural object form ("Bert and me") for the plural subject ("Bert and I") and, when I tried to correct the error, refused to believe that she was wrong, took a royal snit, and triangulated with the rector, with whom she is buddies.  They ended up scapegoating and psychopathologizing me and then communicated this through a third party, while maintaining deniability.  Major no-nos.

I was a professional editor for 20 years until I retired, having worked at high government levels and for sundry university presses.  I also have four books of my own and co-edited three others.  I do know my grammar.

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain