[Magdalen] When Tenors attack ....

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Jul 2 15:17:07 UTC 2015

In a message dated 7/2/2015 10:50:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

Jay,  also an alto who reads bass clef exceedingly  slowly>>>>

I've perhaps mentioned before the "Two Tenors and a Baritone"
at the local Tridentine church.  For some years, the O/C who was
a great tenor dredged up some three part polyphony written for
first and second soprano and alto.

We sang nearly every Sunday from this collection, but as two
tenors and a baritone.  We were all trained singers, and had no
rehearsals with this material, but it all went off without a hitch.

It must have been just a little startling for the small congregation
to hear these motets wafting from the rear gallery.  It  certainly
was not anything they would have heard in your usual neighborhood
Roman Catholic Church.

That's my experience reading the alto line.  It's a great  memory.

David Strang.