[Magdalen] When Tenors attack ....

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Jul 2 17:41:28 UTC 2015

In a message dated 7/2/2015 11:35:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
romanos at mindspring.com writes:

Back in  the 60's Concordia was publishing all this music for 3  equal
voices  by Marenzio at the like.  We did this at 7AM in the morning. We
also
had a talented violinist and cellist. the violinist was a composer and  he
wrote settings of the Matins responsories for 2 equal voices, violin  and
cello.>>>>>>>

Joe -

I think it's too bad that there is a generation of Roman Catholic  clergy
out there who think anything other than the parish choirs singing the
contemporary schlock currently in vogue, is to attract  individual
attention in what is, of course, corporate worship.

This applies to vocal as well as instrumental music.  So in many  of
the RC parishes with which I am familiar, the services of a talented
violinist and cellist, as well as solo vocal activity are definitely  not
wanted.

For example, for awhile here locally we had a very nice soprano
who was Roman Catholic but, of course, sang in the Episcopal
Procathedral Choir.  She was capable of some of the great  treasures
of the Church, and I persuaded the Monsignor of the local downtown
RCC with MUCH difficulty, to have her do the  complete Mozart
"Exsultate Jubilate" in the course of a Low Sunday Mass.

She sang the first portion as a prelude, and then the "Alleluia"  during
Communion.

There was not a dry eye in the house.  It was a hand a glove  situation.
We had this splendid music bouncing off the frescoed vaults and
gilded putti of that old church. They are made for each other.

There is so much good stuff out there that RC's are being cheated out
of secondary to the "classical is bad" mentality.

David Strang.