[Magdalen] 239th year since the birth of the United States of America as a nation

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Fri Jul 3 13:12:35 UTC 2015

From: Zephonites--- via Magdalen

>America celebrates her 239th birthday tomorrow.  According to a  recent
>survey, nearly two in three Americans say God has granted our nation  an
>exceptional role in human history.  Is this true?

That's close to the number who believe UFOS are around and have landed. though
almost a third higher than the number of Americans who believe space aliens have
kidnapped Americans from time to time.

I think Murray misses the reality of several of the founders who believed that
nearly all Americans would be Unitarians by 1831 (forty years? two generations)
because it was the only faith compatible with reason and enlightenment of the
Constitution.

If polling data on space aliens can be believed, that was a prescient -- though
unfulfilled -- view.

It would also indicated that only a tiny minority of people who call themselves
Christians are  skeptical of the concept of American Exceptionalism.  I don’t
think that's true at all. The concept tends to be a meme of the right wing these
days, and that's not a majority by any means.

Cheers,
Jim