[Magdalen] 1000 C of E ordinations this summer!

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 3 16:21:19 UTC 2015

On 03/07/2015 16:19, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> That's the story published by the ACNS this morning. The mind boggles...

I suspect the story may be a bit misleading and that total refers to the
number of new deacons plus the number of new priests.  A significant
proportion of them will also be self-supporting ministers (bivocational
in US speak) rather than stipendiary.

Looking at the latest statistics available I see that in 2012 there were
253 ordaines to full-time ministry in the parochial system. Yaking into
account those changing between patterns and places of ministry there was
a nett loss of 260 stipendiary clergy.  At the end of 2012 there were
8255 licensed stipendiary clergy including bishops, etc.

Roger