[Magdalen] Sect?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Jul 3 19:09:47 UTC 2015

In a message dated 7/3/2015 2:59:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
michaudme at gmail.com writes:

Sect?
To Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholicism is a sect.
To  Roman Catholics, Protestants belong to a  sect.>>>>
I don't know much about the first statement, but though it's  well
known that the Orthodox think the claims of the Bishop of Rome
are heretical, I don't think they would use the word, "sect", to
describe the RCC.

On the second statement, the New Roman Catholic Catechism is
quite circumspect, and refers to Protestants as "ecclesial"  groups
under the Christian umbrella.  Some find this just as offensive  as
"sect".

Of course there is that RC study some years ago that found
Anglican Orders as "utterly null and void", but I don't think the
term, "sect" was used.

Personally, I get a pejorative sense out of the word, "sect".

David Strang.