[Magdalen] 239th year since the birth of the United States of America as ...

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 19:15:49 UTC 2015

Actually, I found that misconception to be very prevalent in rural Virginia not so many years ago, and these were not "goons." Historically there was so much anti-Catholic sentiment in the South that I'm sure many folks figured they must not be Christian. I even had parishioners who were surprised when I corrected this notion.
When we moved to this county in 1981, the local Catholic congregation, which had been worshiping in a house, applied for a zoning variance to make some additions, like a steeple, and make it into a regular church building, they were met with some stiff opposition. Leading the charge was the wife of a local Baptist pastor, who declared, "We don't need any Catholics in [this] county!"
Now, of course, the Catholic congregation, still very small, is well respected in the community.