[Magdalen] Sect?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 22:31:22 UTC 2015

I always figured a sect is a small group of religious followers of a
particular stripe; a cult is an evil sect.

Well.  Here's a link to a url that explains the whole thing beautifully,
and, since it's Canadian, it's above reproach. I doubt that anyone will be
in the least offended by anything it says -- no, really!

http://www.religioustolerance.org/cults.htm

The term "sectarian" comes from the word:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sectarian

And the term "nonsectarian" also has an interesting pedigree:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonsectarian

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford