[Magdalen] Here We Go Again.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 4 10:04:11 UTC 2015

Dare I suggest it's about time for this revision?  Both publications are
over a generation old.  The 17th century revisers of the BCP recognized
that words change their normal meaning (and I would add associations)
over time so periodic revision of the language of our liturgy is advisable.

Such a revision would also bring the opportunity to reflect the broader
understanding of the Church and the world that applies now than was the
case when the 1979 edition was promulgated.  There have been some good
new hymns wriutten in the past 30 years (and some dire ones to be fair)
so some churches have a separate supplemental hymnal or include the text
of a new hymn in the service bulletin. When I was in the US last month I
noticed in one church a separate book of hymns in the African-American
tradition . Is that what is wanted todayor have them in one book so you
can choose between different styles in the same service?

Roger