[Magdalen] If's Started.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 15:07:20 UTC 2015

When I was at Michigan State University, the campus cable TV network
had a program on nutrition presented by a hilariously curmudgeonly
retired professor. She's the one who helped me understand, through one
of her programs, how margarine is not the healthy butter alternative
it was marketed as. She refused to call these products by their
commercial names ("buttery spread," or whatever) and insisted on
calling them all "spreadable fats." Her point was that butter, also a
spreadable fat, provided a superior flavor, and if what's in butter
has some unhealthy properties, the properties of the chemical
concoctions in other spreadable fats were much worse. "And margarine
is almost half water, so if you want to waste your spreadable-fat
budget on watery chemical goo, go right ahead, but I'd rather you just
pass the butter, please." And of course all in moderation.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA