[Magdalen] Here We Go Again.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 4 19:04:59 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 17:37, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> The elves putting the thing together should include a proposed date of
> revision as a matter of course.  Ten years seems reasonable, don't you
> think?
>
> Also, let's put together one book in which are all the possible services,
> no exceptions at all whatsoever. The "Exhaustive Book of Common Prayer"
> [EBCP]
>
> Then people wanting copies specify what they want and it gets published for
> them that way.

Learn from others is my advice.  When the C/E published "Common Worship"
in 2000 the main volume was just short of 800 pages long including Order
One (modern sequence of elements) and Order Two (1662 sequence of
elements) each in contemporary and traditional language together with
various options for non-eucharistic services including morning and
evening prayer, baptismal rite and psalter. The various services were
also published in booklet form in normal and large print. Some seasonal
material and music was published in the President's Edition, basically
an altar missal.

Before publication parishes were asked how many copies of what they were
likely to order so that print-runs could be established.  I believe that
in the end two parishes ordered copies of the main volume for the entire
congregation.  Others ordered mainly the individual booklets while still
more produced (and cointinue to produce) local editions of the bits they
actually ise.  This facilitates congregations being able to follow the
service easily without too much page-flicking.  (Incidentally I noticed
a preference during my recent trip for Eucharistic Prayer B while A is
the one that does not require flipping forward and back.)

Roger