[Magdalen] Here We Go Again.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Jul 6 16:26:46 UTC 2015

>Oh, and I tried the Rite stuff or whatever it's called.  Apart from being
>able to make clear digital copies of music, I thought it was very clumsy.
>Not at all impressed, especially for the price.

We had some discussion elsewhere at the time this was being done/tested, and the
general conclusion was that the programmers must have been amateur hobbyists --
and not competent.

> I just wish they had actually sung every hymn through with minimal
> accompaniment, to see if they are singable by the average congregation.  So
> many are really only suitable for use with a good choir, which means a big
> church, and probably a budget big enough for printed booklets including
> hymns and skilled staff to make them.

I would say that fewer than 100 hymns in H82 fall into this category.  But
unless the Choir Director and Rector have worked to schedule >700 of the hymns
in a reasonable period of time,I don’t think the characterization of "good
choir" is true at all. My experience in congregations where something beyond the
"Top 40" are used (including those who use the hymnal like a lectionary over
three years <g>) is that difference congregations take to a different subset of
hymns.

For example, some congregations easily take to the Korean and Chinese tunes,
others are lost. I encountered one small congregation that could belt out the
Distler, but even one with a "good choir" couldn't hank it.

Of course, there are other factors. One of Raewynne's predecessors thought the
congregation's singing pretty awful, so made sure that many hymns were truncated
at the first verse (he had once been in a D'Oyley Carte company so knew a good
sound!); another would apologize for the "wrong tune" or stop midway in a hymn
at a colon or comma at the end of a verse. This sort of thing is not encouraging
for congregational music, I think.

I do think part of a complete seminary educating would be a class where all 720
hymns of H82 were sung and discussed, along with the LEVAS II and WL&P
Collections. Starting texts might be Bradley's "Abide with Me" and Wren's
"Praying Twice" and then on to Glover Vol 1 &2, while using Glover 3 & 4 to
facilitate discussion as individual hymns are sung. Another continuing volume
would be one of the current volumes of "A Scriptural Reference to the Hymnal
1982" as well. That might cover four semesters, but as congregational singing is
central for many congregants _and far more relevant than some of the really
esoteric theology course)  it should be a no-brainer, I think.

What texts are currently used in seminary when it comes to music?

Cheers,
Jim