[Magdalen] Here We Go Again.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Jul 6 18:30:04 UTC 2015

On 7/6/15 11:31 AM, Jim Guthrie wrote:
> I love parishes where the "him" "God" and "Our" compete for attention.
> Reminds me of saying the Lord's Prayer at home with the family -- 3
> debtors, four trespassers -- each trying to be louder than the others.

Try throwing the modern 79BCP Lord's Prayer into the mix!  I like it
better than the older ones, because it has "Save us from the time of
trial" instead of "Lead us not into temptation"  (as if God would
deliberately lead us into temptation: we don't need any more "tests"
than daily life already gives us!) but anyway, I do use it in private
prayer: I always try to use whichever version is being used in unison
groups.

I grew up with the debts/trespasses tangle, and it has never been fun.
My school didn't say it for school at all, but we all knew it from our
churches, which for some reason all said "debts".  We had a very large
band, over a hundred kids, and we played a concert at a smaller high
school, who had the custom of unison Lord's Prayer at the beginning of
every Assembly (this was in the late fifties).  We were on the stage,
seated in preparation for our concert, and politely stood, bowed our
heads, and joined the prayer.  The wave of debts from the stage
intercepted the wave of trespasses from the auditorium like some storm
at sea,  and then worse, the second time it occurred, some of each group
tried to change.  Ultimate confusion!

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net