[Magdalen] Ravages of Time.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 02:35:29 UTC 2015

​I once admi​tted a patient with a massive lower GI bleed. As part of the
admission process, I was attempting to get a list of the patient's
medications, and the patient's daughter handed me a discharge sheet from
the patient's previous hospitalization and a collection of pill bottles.
While trying to make sense of this, I found two bottles of blood thinner,
one labeled "Coumadin 4 mg" and the other labeled "Warfarin 4 mg". I asked
the daughter which one she was taking, and the daughter looked at me like I
was stupid. "Well, both of them, of course," she said. I pointed to the
discharge summary and said, "This is the one she's supposed to take," and
the daughter said, "But this is the one the doctor wrote the prescription
for on her last visit." I asked her if the pharmacist had said anything to
her about the medication and she said, "No, I didn't ask him." Complete
communications breakdown had resulted in the patient taking a double dose
of medication and a near fatal occurrence. Who was at fault? I blame the
pharmacist, but they are so overworked it's hard to fault them. Still, the
buck has to stop somewhere.