[Magdalen] President Carter calls out religious leaders for genderbigotry

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Thu Jul 9 03:31:57 UTC 2015

Note that the link is six years old.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com

-----Original Message-----
From: James Oppenheimer-Crawford
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 11:15 PM
To: Magdalen at herberthouse.org
Subject: [Magdalen] President Carter calls out religious leaders for
genderbigotry

I was quite interested to see a report of Jimmy Carter deciding to leave
the Southern Baptist Convention.
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/losing-my-religion-for-equality-20090714-dk0v.html?stb=fb

His major contribution:
"I HAVE been a practising Christian all my life and a deacon and Bible
teacher for many years. My faith is a source of strength and comfort to me,
as religious beliefs are to hundreds of millions of people around the
world. So my decision to sever my ties with the Southern Baptist
Convention, after six decades, was painful and difficult. It was, however,
an unavoidable decision when the convention's leaders, quoting a few
carefully selected Bible verses and claiming that Eve was created second to
Adam and was responsible for original sin, ordained that women must be
"subservient" to their husbands and prohibited from serving as deacons,
pastors or chaplains in the military service.
"The truth is that male religious leaders have had - and still have - an
option to interpret holy teachings either to exalt or subjugate women. They
have, for their own selfish ends, overwhelmingly chosen the latter. Their
continuing choice provides the foundation or justification for much of the
pervasive persecution and abuse of women throughout the world. This is in
clear violation not just of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights but
also the teachings of Jesus Christ, the Apostle Paul, Moses and the
prophets, Muhammad, and founders of other great religions - all of whom
have called for proper and equitable treatment of all the children of God.
It is time we had the courage to challenge these views."

The President may as well have made the exact same observation about the
supposed views of some regarding homosexual people.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford