[Magdalen] Respite Update

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 22:00:22 UTC 2015

My best friend in elementary school was Heidi Pfankuchen. I wonder if they
could be related, since the name is essentially the same, "pfankuchen"
meaning "pancakes" in German. Heidi's father, Llewelyn, taught political
science at UW-Madison, and her mother, Gretchen, was a figure in local
Democratic politics for as long as I can remember, though she never ran for
office, preferring to work behind the scenes. Heidi and I were in every
class together from second through 6th grade and lived 2 blocks apart.
After 6th grade we never had another class together and moved in different
circles.