[Magdalen] More Like Canada?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 12:24:45 UTC 2015

You know, the fact is, all over the world you see countries fracturing as
different groups seek their own personal place in the sun.  It even was a
big subject in Belgium and Holland. But in the USA, where some of us really
sometimes seem to hate each other, we still stick together.  I think it's a
large dysfunctional family.  So-and-so may have bad manners and smell
worse, but by God, he's still family.

Besides, all generalizations are false, and we all have relatives from the
South (or North, if you're in the South), and we almost all know somebody
who, while part of that area we don't care for, we still love this
individual to pieces.  We have our differences, and newspapers thrive on
covering the dissenting and quarreling, but for the most part, I really
think we make it work.

Maybe we remember Ben's wise remarks about union. I don't know what it is,
but so far the arguments for withdrawing from the Union generally receive a
few attaboys, then go nowhere.

I love the Hudson Valley; I love that I live on a road that was once a
bridle path on what was once Roosevelt land.

But I also love that my country includes Shrimp fishermen, the Rockies, the
Alamo, the road to Lexington, Massachusetts, and folks who speak English in
such a musical manner it makes me feel all warm, especially when they add,
"bless yer heart."

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford