[Magdalen] What Each Myers-Briggs Type Does In A Rut (The Rise Of The Inferior Function) | Thought Catalog

Eleanor Braun eleanor.braun at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 16:47:57 UTC 2015

Thanks for that, Sally.

I find the Myers Briggs helpful for understanding myself and others, but
take it with a large grain of salt.

For example, I come out as an extreme Introvert, meaning I get more energy
from being alone and I expend energy in a group.  That's really only half
true -- it all depends on context.  I dislike large social occasions,
especially if I know few people there and don't have anything specific to
talk to someone about.  But I gain energy from workgroups working on a
problem together, or book study groups.  I think the MB questions are more
socially oriented than work oriented.

And on the P/J scale, I choose to be one or the other.  When I'm a verger
lining up a long procession or instructing acolytes, I'm a big-time J.  But
when I'm running a project and the project team needs to work through the
consequences of a particular course of action, I'm very happy to put on my
P hat.

I almost always come out as an INTJ, sometimes INTP; even though I'm an N,
I certainly do a lot of fact collection.

One of my roommates is also an I, but in a big social group she will take
charge and seems to derive great energy from the encounter.

So I find the whole thing helpful but not dispositive; and a fun way to
understand/explain our behavior in non-pathalogical terms (although I can
be pretty OCD with those acolytes!)

Eleanor