[Magdalen] Times are a-Changin'

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 19:06:41 UTC 2015

in re 'smoking' ...

I read a tragic article in today's Houston Chronicle about a young African
American woman who was stopped by police outside of a small college town
between here (Houston) and Austin - Prairie View A&M (historically 'black'
university not affiliated with TX A&M). She was an '07 grad, arriving in
town to settle down after accepting a job offer from the university several
days ago.  Stopped by the police after she "failed to signal a lane change",
when the cop approached her in the car she apparently was smoking and the
cop told her to put out her cigarette. Apparently this directive was not
immediately followed so the cop told her to get out of the car. When she did
exit the car 'physical' contact ensued initiated by the cop. She was
eventually put in cuffs and into the police car and taken to jail. Shortly
after being seen in her cell the following morning, she was found hanging
from a 'self made plastic bag noose from the  trash can liner in her cell'.

This story is stunning in its description of what happened. Her family in
another state is unable to believe she would take her life. A witness who
filmed some of the scuffle from across the street when her car was stopped
said the young woman was being harassed by the police. This is so very sad.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr