[Magdalen] The Donald.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun Jul 26 22:49:49 UTC 2015

On 7/26/15 5:07 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> I learned a new word today --- "bloviate".   This was used by an  article
> excerpted from the Des Moines, IA USA "Register".  the term was used  by
> the paper to describe the campaign technique of Donald Trump,  stumping
> Iowa.  It means to speak or write verbosely and windily.  Later,  the same
> article refers to Trump as a "blowhard".  I guess they both mean about  the
> same thing.

My father used the term "blowhard" quite a bit.  He didn't seem to refer
so much to verbosity as to the man's manner, someone who believed he
was, and talked as if he were, much more important and powerful than he
actually was.  Custer might have been a "blowhard" if he'd been heard to
assume that he (and his army) was going to exterminate all those Indians
over that hill.  His Crow Scouts warned him before the battle, but he
brushed them off, insulted, and sent them away, so they survived after
he attacked.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net