[Magdalen] Sharing the JOY!

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun Jul 26 23:43:35 UTC 2015

From: Roger Stokes

>Ginga, I rejoice with you for all the reasons you cite.  I have excerpted this
>one because I think it raises potential issues.  Are the people at St Paul's
>likely to issue the transfer letter?  What happens if they don't - cam the
>member still be welcomed as a voting member at

Roger, I suspect that many Episcopalians don’t know about "Transfer Letters, and
they're rarely sent/requested.

The in most parishes the rule for voting is "regular' attendance during the past
year and being known to the treasurer (emphasis on the latter). I did see a
vestry member candidate disqualified for lack of a letter of transfer once --
but she was seen as a threat to the parish -- organizing prayer circles and  an
Evening Prayer service including lots of prayer outside the normal scheme of
things. But she was seen as a threat to the entrenched church leaders so they
treated her as shabby as a church could treat someone. She moved on to another
parish where prayer led by someone other than clergy was accepted as normal.

I did a letter of transfer from St James St James to St Paul's K Street. But
subsequent parishes did not follow up on requests *and St Paul;s K St couldn't
find my record, though I later found the book and like), and of the nine
parishes where I;ve been a member, no one seemed to care as long as my pledge
was current <g>.

Cheers,
Jim