[Magdalen] BSA

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 29 11:16:00 UTC 2015

Different system for securing the party's support.  Edward Heath did not
have a good record as Conservative Leader haviung lost three of the four
hGeneral Elections on his watch and there was significant pressure to
replace him.  Margaret Thatcher was the only member of the Shadow
Cabinet to raise her head above the parapet so the discontent with Heath
coalesced round her.

Although Heath got a plurality of the vote in the first ballot (49% to
45%) Heath got the message that he was no longer wanted and asked a
colleague to take ober the leadership responsibilities pending the
second ballot the following week, which he did not contest. Although she
had become Leader by being willing to stand up to the incumbent Heath
she did not like it when she was toppled by a similar coup, regarding it
as a betrayal.

Roger