[Magdalen] Short-term prayers, please

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 23:52:09 UTC 2015

I read this, and sat for a long time, just thinking, and then I went away
and did something else. I came back and it's still there. The PC elves did
not answer it for me.

I have been thinking of how you could discern what is in the post, etc. and
of course, nothing suggested itself.

I have found that in my counseling life, a great tool for getting through
to people is intentional helplessness.  Not needed to get the last word,
not needing to master or even understand the person, but simply to allow
them to be the master of the scene.   That did not in itself offer a
solution, but it seems to me that you have been pushed into a situation
where you strive to make a peaceful overture, and he then craps on that and
escalates to something else even more angry.  In a way he has taken your
emotions hostage.  It really does not matter what his intentions are; I
think we all agree he is not always using the best judgment, and will also
never concede that until he is on his death bed.

You keep trying to find a way to get through to him, and he keeps stopping
you, "Uh uh uh! That isn't going to work with me!"

So perhaps it is time you are honest, and at the same time, "give up."

Tell him that, based on the nasty material in his last post, you cannot
read anything else from him. Just say you have to protect yourself from his
attacks, so you just are going to leave it to him to decide when he wishes
to communicate with you. You decide not to read his posts.  However, if he
will assure you that he is not going to write nasty material, you will be
happy to read what he has to say immediately.

Very clearly label his withholding the children as essentially
hostage-taking (without any judgment or scolding, of course), because that
is how it feels to you, and so that is what it is, so far as you are
concerned. I do not think that you gain anything by tiptoeing around his
hostage-taking behavior, and it just might possibly get through to him at
some point.

If he withholds the children, well, that's what he does. He is running a
nasty little game where no matter what you say it's going to give him some
grist to take umbrage and then he withholds the kids anyway. He's going to
do it in any case.  You are trying to find the magic action that will
prevent that, and there isn't any, because he feeds off being able to use
his hostages to give you more pain.

All the ideas for having somebody else read the post etc. is just baloney.
It is just making you and your friends work and work and work, when the
reality is he doesn't give a hoot about righteousness or justice or
anything else; he just obviously wants to hurt you.  Please don't allow him
to get to you.  You can change yourself, but you can't change another who
has, for God knows what reason, has chosen the evil path.  You can do what
you can to avoid stoking the flames, and you can keep telling him your door
is always open when he wants to be civil, but the doormat days are over.
You deserve respect and courtesy, and when he is willing to treat you in a
socially acceptable manner, you're more than willing to listen.

And somewhere in there at some point, you can tell him that you try to see
his point of view, but he refuses to accord you the same courtesy, and
without some consideration and respect, there can be no relationship. You
have tried, but until he decides he WANTS a relationship, you give up.

It seems to me that he is feeding off your repeated attempts to be
conciliatory, and I don't think you should stop that, but you also lose
nothing by not putting your cards on the table and calling him out.

You have had the assumption that you never ever give up, and he seems to
know that and is using it against you.  So maybe it's time to give up.  I
have read of people who experienced a turn-around when they gave up and
laid the whole thing on God.

I hope this gives you some useful ideas.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford