[Magdalen] MS Windows users question...

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 31 22:22:04 UTC 2015

On 31/07/2015 21:42, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> From: "Ginga Wilder" <gingawilder at gmail.com>
>

>> My computer guy told me definitely to download the free Windows 10,
>> but to
>> wait a few months as the kinks of the new program are identified and
>> fixed.  I'll probably download it in 6 months.  I have an all white
>> Windows
>> logo in my tray that tells me from time to time that is how I should
>> begin
>> the download process.
>

> What I'm trying to get a definite answer on is IF one downloads the
> tiny white window between now and mid fall, is the system still FREE
> forever, or are we already in the 'free for 12 months' and then have
> to pay, period?

There's a 12 month window to upgrade for free, but then it's free for
ever (or at least until you get a new computer which means paying for a
new operating system as it always has).  It's a free upgrade from Win 7,
8 or 8.1.  If you buy a new machine with Windows pre-installed on an OEM
Licence that is likely still to be Win 8 but you can then upgrade for
free between now and next July.

What MS say is that this is going to be their last renumbering.  Win 10
will be upgraded over the years but it will be as 10.1, 10.2, etc
through normal regular updates rather than going onto Win 11 or whatever.

Roger

Roger

Roger