[Magdalen] She's leaving church look

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Jun 1 15:20:47 UTC 2015

From: Molly Wolf

"I think I am done with religion.  Not with God, of course, never with God.  But
with church (except for friends), with intellectual theology, and with the
Future of Christianity, I think I am done."

I also find myself increasingly irritated by church's narcissism, whether it's
the idolatry of liturgy or preoccupation with the past or earnest navel-gazing.
Fewgawdsake, church, get over yourself!

I think there's a difference between "Religion" and "Church."  I can absolutely
sympathize on the "Church" side, especially when a particular church is as you
described. And I'm afraid many churches are.

But there are gems out there, however few and far between they may be. And as
I'm sure you've experienced, neither the clergy nor the congregation has a clue
as to how toxic they are (especially since everyone is always on their best
behavior in front of a person with the dog collar, plus the notion that "Were
such a FRIENDLY church" which is a dead giveaway as to toxicity <g>).

But likewise, the gems out there don’t necessarily recognize themselves as gems.

And related to that, there are those "fast growing" churches  -- which grow fast
because there are no entrenched interests, no "We've never done it that way
before," no dragon ladies (yet) and the Pastor's salary is dependent on the
number of pledging units rather than any diocesan rule or other bureaucratic (or
traditional) compensation program. And any number of people who found their old
church (however many there may have been in a mobile society) as toxic as your
description.

Cheers,
Jim .