[Magdalen] Gap year (or more)

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 06:36:12 UTC 2015

​
On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 12:57 PM, ME Michaud <michaudme at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes and no.
>
> When I lived i n Denmark, I was very impressed with the fact that
> college tuition (even medical school tuition) was free. But everybody
> has to test in. If you fail the testing program, you can't go to college
> (or medical school) but are tracked into another profession.
>
> A colleague came from Spain to study in the United States because
> she failed to test in to her graduate program there.
>
> So, while the cost of education is zero, only a small number of
> people qualify. Higher education may be free, but it's not free to all.
> -M

Nor should it be, M. If you need x physicians, you allow x folks to go to
medical school (allowing for statistical likelihood of all not finishing,
it would have to be just a bit more than x, but the principle's the same.)
 Why would anyone allow a larger number of people to study for a profession
they know it is going to glut the field? That would be insane.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford