[Magdalen] Gap year (or more)

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 5 10:32:53 UTC 2015

On 05/06/2015 04:36, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> One cannot assume that folks who do not attend some college are dumb.  Some
> just march to a different drum.  That's the way it is in construction, and
> a lot of those guys make excellent money.  No college at all.  Now to make
> good money you have to have training, and that's work and time and yes,
> some money too, but the point is it does not involve darkening the door of
> any college.  There are other fields as well.
>
> It's a vanity thing for too many.  Go to college whether it agrees with you
> or not. And that is nuts.

Right on there!  We are always going to need skilled artisans such as
electricians, plumbers and hairdressers.  There are other skilled tasks
I cannot envisage beoming automated for general user because it would be
uneconomic to do so.  Many of these do require some theory to be able to
carry out the tasks effectively and safely, but that is support that can
be offered alongside the practical training.

Roger