[Magdalen] Gap year (or more)

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Fri Jun 5 13:45:52 UTC 2015

From: Jay Weigel

>Our Adam chose the military and trained as a heavy equipment mechanic. He
>made pretty darn good money working for them for a long time. Can't do it
>now and is on extended leave for complicated reasons. If he does go back he
>could finish his term as an instructor.

The military is one area where a High School graduate can do well -- provided
they stay in 20 years or more. Many employers will take that experience as very
valuable, so that's a reasonable alternative to college.

Those in for two 2-3 years are a different story, of course -- unless they've
been trained in a marketable specialty. Employers look on them as disciplined
and smart enough to be chosen for such training.

BTW, a corporate recruiter once told me to never list the "ABD" business on a
resume -- he said many employers take that as an indication that one can’t
finish an important task.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie