[Magdalen] Gap year (or more)

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 20:28:58 UTC 2015

Sadly in the states many military professions at the lower levels do not translate. One I'm familiar with here is the medics who've come back to TX are not qualified for emergency vehicles or given any credit towards an entry level nurse associates degree. Sad
Lynn

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2015, at 3:02 PM, Susan Hutchinson <shutchinsonca at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2015-06-05, at 6:45 AM, Jim Guthrie wrote:
>
> Many employers will take that experience as very
> valuable, so that's a reasonable alternative to college.

The University of Manitoba takes some military course work as equivalent to undergraduate course work as part of the requirements for a bachelor of arts or a bachelor of science degree. Other courses can be completed online/correspondence while in the service. Of course, these days it is hard to get in to the armed forces in Canada and the competition means that virtually all officers have already got degrees and recruits will have a high school diploma or GED.

Military training in the traditional trades, police work, flying, electronics, health care etc in Canada are well-respected and even a 3 year stint will give you an advantage in the civilian employment game. Assuming, of course, you are not dealing with a raging case of PTSD from serving too many tours in a stupid war which makes the PM and his cronies feel good.

blessings
Susan

The Rev. Susan Hutchinson
604-319-7148