[Magdalen] Gap year (or more)

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 00:39:12 UTC 2015

You don't have to be nasty about it. They were legal, as a large percentage
of hspanics in that particular town are. Now. Again, guess why carpentry is
a particularly respected trade among Hispanics, or at least among the ones
there. Or do I have to prompt you?

In that town, there are certain people among the Anglo community who have
been very supportive of the Hispanic newcomers. Some are members of St.
Patrick Catholic Church who have undertaken to bridge the gap between the
dual congregations by teaching English and citizenship classes. Others are
people like a woman in my former parish who is a lawyer and represents
Hispanic clients in all sorts of cases; she also owns rental property
which she maintains well and rents only to Hispanic families. Another is an
Anglo Baptist minister married to a Venezuelan woman; they started a
Hispanic Baptist church but it has an outreach to all Spanish-speaking
newcomers in the area, with food and clothing and other ministries. He was
a chalain at the hospital I worked at and he is a pretty amazing person.