[Magdalen] Gap year (or more)

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 15:13:33 UTC 2015

Actually I know these particular workers were paid well because Bobby and
David asked Ethel (the lawyer who defends Hispanics and owns the rental
properties) for the name of a good contractor after they fired the first
one for shoddy work. She gave them the name of the second guy and warned
them he'd cost more because he was careful about the people he hired, but
they were good. He did and they were. And you never answered my other
question about why carpentry is a respected trade ;->]

As for the jobs "Americans won't take"? Well, in that same town you could
always tell who was on the bottom of the economic ladder if you drove by
the local chicken processing plant. When we first moved there the workers
were almost all poor whites. A few years later they were almost all black.
Now they are almost entirely Hispanic. When I was in home health, for a
brief time I took care of a young man who had worked there. He'd slipped
and fallen and caught his foot in an ice auger. Broke his ankle and chewed
it up pretty good too--very ugly injury. He was a very sweet young man, all
of 19 years old, who lived with family that I never saw because they were
all working when I visited. No instance, Medicaid only. I suspect he may
have been illegal, but who cared. I taught his girlfriend to dress his
injury, which was pretty funny because neither of them had more than a few
words of English and my Spanish was worse than rusty, but that big-eyed
little teenager watched everything and was a quick learner. Within a week
and a half she had it down perfectly. I often wonder what happened to them.