[Magdalen] Naturalization Ceremony

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun Jun 7 11:21:26 UTC 2015

From: Grace Cangialosi

>They have a naturalization ceremony up at Monticello every year on the Fourth
>of July and I keep thinking it would ba a good things to take some of the
> >grandkids to. Maybe this year...

It is interesting that these ceremonies even exist, given their roots in
anti-immigrant xenophobia of the early part of the 19th Century. Some
Progressives thought the whole business anathema, but in this case the
underlying phobia that spawned these has become enshrined as a great patriotic
act.

It should also be noted that most native born Americans of any education level
can not pass the test immigrants are required to take to achieve citizenship.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie