[Magdalen] Heather Cook

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun Jun 7 11:32:35 UTC 2015

From: Grace Cangialosi

>Well, I think I understand, Jim, but it just doesn't seem fair for the family
>to have to keep waiting for one delay after another when there's no uncertainty
> >about guilt.

One of the things that is forgotten in this self-indulgent era is that this is a
nation  of laws. And that means emotions of families should have nothing
whatsoever to do with justice. I realize we live in an era where emoting at
Victims Impact hearings (a sure sign of the decline of laws into something of a
localized mobocracy. And this is aided and abetted by TV reporters looking for
profitable emotional outbursts, "How do you feel seeing your child burned to
death in that house fire?"

>I can't say I understand the whole plea system, except that it's designed to
>get the least possible penalty for the guilty party, which, course, is what
>she's

Nope -- a plea bargain is designed to get the best outcome for all concerned --
the guilty, the victims, the law and the state.

>paying the lawyers for. But why can't they go into the courtroom, provide
>whatever evidence they have, have a judge or jury declare her guilty, since
>that's >not an issue, and then hammer out whatever deals they want without
>keeping the family on the string?
>It would be different if they didn't know what happened or who the driver was,
>of course.

Taxpayers wouldn’t stand for the costs if this was done everywhere. And as I
said, the family has nothing to do with it under the rule of law, however
modified and stretched by the current cultural milieu.

>Good thing I'm not a lawyer. I could never defend someone I knew to be
>guilty...

Agreed.

But as the Miranda warning -- the law of the land -- says . . . .  As a nation
we long ago decided our Constitution demands representation for both guilty and
innocent persons.

Cheers,
Jim