[Magdalen] 50 - 50

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 7 21:42:19 UTC 2015

On 07/06/2015 22:30, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> On the front page of the local (Hazleton, PA) Sunday paper there was  an
> article about the current state of languages dominating the school  system.
>
> Though the city primary schools had up and down percentages based
> on their location, the local high school is now 50 - 50 Spanish -  English.
>
> That is, 50% of students said their first language was Spanish, and
> 50% said English.  Those who spoke both languages were included  among
> the Spanish totals.
>
> There are a lot of services available in English and Spanish, and the  going
> rate for bilingual interpreters is $31/hour.
>
> As I understand it, the teaching continues to be primarily in  English.

This is a very real problem here in England.  For a time there was an
attempt to offer hospitality by providing forms in numerous foreign
languages.  The problem is that the number of languages has nushroomed.
In this relatively small town it is estimated that there are over 100
native alnguages.  Certainly I know in one small (roll 140) school there
are 20 mother tongues.  In such a situation there has to be a single
language for teaching and English is the obvious one.

Roger