[Magdalen] New music director at our cathedral...some here may know of him...

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:15:00 UTC 2015

Oopsy, my bad. Reading comprehension not up to par today. I think the heat
is affecting my brain.

St. Stephen's, Richmond, is a beautiful church in the ritzy River district.
(Eric Cantor's nominal home is there, although I think he lives mostly in
the Beltway area now that he's some kind of lobbyist.) They have a
wonderful Celtic service at 5:30 pm on Sundays which I used to attend
frequently because I worked Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday
mornings were just about impossible for me. The one odd thing about it that
I noticed after attending a few times was that no one ever spoke to me.
Nobody. Not even when they handed me a service sheet. Okay, fine. After I
had been there a couple of times, I signed the guest register and thought
nothing of it. And one evening they announced a reception after the service
"for all attending", so I went. No one spoke to me. No one. Not in the
serving line, none of the clergy, none of the folks milling around with
name tags saying "Welcoming Committee" who seemed to be walking up to
people they already knew and making conversation. I even positioned myself
in direct sight line close to a couple of them and was ignored. After
awhile I left. I did continue attending the Celtic service because I liked
it and got a lot out of it, but I was never spoken to by anyone from St.
Stephen's. Well. In mid September I received a pledge letter from them!!!!!
To say I was shocked would be an understatement. To say I was furious would
be an even bigger understatement! I sat down and wrote the priest a pen and
paper letter describing the exact treatment I had gotten since the first
time I had walked through the doors of the church and asked him exactly why
I should contribute to an establishment that ignored me. I also pointed out
that I had never asked in any way for membership, nor had my presence ever
been acknowledged. I got a nice note back acknowledging a "mistake" in
sending me a pledge request, but no sort of acknowledgement whatever that
their lack of welcome needed some attention. Eventually I abandoned the
place altogether and made the effort, painful though it was, to stay up on
at least occasional Sundays and go all the way downtown to Grace and Holy
Trinity on the VCU campus where I was made welcome.
/rant mode off

An old friend, Allen H. Bean, is, or was then, the music director at the
Catholic church next door to St. Stephen's, Richmond (I think it's called
St. Bridget's). He's from Morristown, TN, where I lived for years.