[Magdalen] Calvary, Pittsburgh

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 02:52:20 UTC 2015

Agreed, and that's exactly why I don't like it when someone -- a
speaker at a convention, or someone on Facebook, or a blogger -- goes
overboard in beating parishioners over the head for a lack of
welcoming. Some of that is deserved if it's active ignoring or
shirking the duty to look for and simply welcome newcomers, but I
think we all know people who've visited a church and found it
wonderful in that they weren't singled out or made a point of
attention, and someone else visits the same church and finds it
repulsively unwelcoming.

Maybe St. Luke's ELCA here in Chicago does it right: I cringed when
they invited newcomers to raise hands, but I stopped cringing when
they said they'd like to welcome us with a free coffee mug and a
booklet about the church. My hand shot up for the mug! :)

In our own parish, I think we could do a lot better with being aware
of when intra-parish business conversations at coffee hour are keeping
us unaware of visitors to greet. And when such conversations are
blocking doorways and inviting visitors to give up and leave before
even being able to enter the coffee hour to which the rector had
warmly invited them. People really stand around like oafs right where
people need room to get through.

I liked a welcome i received long ago at Christ Church Cranbrook...I
was in a mood to be anonymous and did an end run around the obligatory
receiving line to be greeted by the clergy. The rector, as I made my
move, was able to suspend his attention to a conversation long enough
to reach out and touch my shoulder and thank me for coming and ask me
to come back again, and gave me his blessing, all in a
non-overwhelming twinkling of an eye. I didn't feel put upon but felt
very appreciated and welcomed just by that gesture of attention.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA