[Magdalen] Calvary, Pittsburgh

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Jun 15 15:18:52 UTC 2015

In a message dated 6/15/2015 7:37:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com writes:

The  church was lovely.  -  The music was  good.
Roger>>>>>

I have my own little Calvary story.  The parish has a reputation  for
being low church, though along with all of TEC has undergone a  pronounced
Eucharist oriented change in the past 30 years or so.

On my first visit to the church on a weekday, I browsed about, soaking  up
the architecture and in the process came upon an altar guild little old
lady
futzing around the chapel to the left of the main sanctuary (? the Lady
Chapel?).
I asked her where the Blessed Sacrament was kept on reserve.  Stunned,  she
blurted, "The Blessed WHAT?"

Of the Cram churches in Pittsburgh, the best is, perhaps, East  Liberty
Presbyterian Church.  This was the home parish of the Mellons of  USA
banking fame, and they bankrolled the project and price was no  object.
East Liberty (incidentally a leader in support of liberal social issues)
thus possesses a sanctuary that would allow the Latin Rite  Tridentines
to carry on a Solemn High Mass.  The Mellons have a chapel  reminiscent
of the Royal Chapel at Granada, Spain.  The family is, after all, a  sort
of American royalty.

David Strang.