[Magdalen] Proposed Property Settlement in Episcopal Litigation Turned Down

ROGER STOKES roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 15 23:50:30 UTC 2015

I was afraid that would be the reaction to this offer.  The Lawrence group want to maintain the idea that they are the ones with the true claim to the Episcopal heritage while rejecting the implications of the whole way that the Anglican Communion is organized - with national Churches.  That is why they want to hold onto the title "The Episcopal Diocese" and the shield.

The basic problem with all these groups who separate in protest is that the process is fissiparous - it leads to further division.  That is why you have the alphabet soup among the "Continuing Churches" - they cannot agree on something positive to base their collegiality on as what unites them is opposition to a body they dislike.  In time in this case they may come to realise that they have been hanging onto things which they have emptied of their real meaning, empty and worthless shells.  The sadness of it is that they are doing further damage to the Church's mission in diverting money and effort into this dispute rather than proclaiming the Gospel.
Roger