[Magdalen] Enjoying a colleague's accent

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Fri Jun 19 23:21:01 UTC 2015

My father claimed that my grandfather spoke "Plattdeutsch". He was born
outside a small town not far from Hannover. I do remember noticing accents
the one time I was in Germany - folks in Berlin seemed to speak the
"purest": German.

And, speaking of accents, long, long ago I was staying with a colleague of
my research director in Aberdeen, Scotland, and I rented a car for a few
days to drive around. Somewhere between Aberdeen and Inverness I picked up a
hitchhiker. The only word I could understand out of him was "speedtrap".
Thanks to American TV, however, he understood me just fine.

Me, I was born in Michigan, so I have no accent.   ;-)

Chad Wohlers
East Bridgewater, MA USA
chadwohl at satucket.com