[Magdalen] Scranton

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Jun 20 01:21:06 UTC 2015

In a message dated 6/19/2015 9:05:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lesleymdv at gmail.com writes:

I  remember that my mother-in-law the Lancashire woman thought that all
gums  trees were alike (nothing could be further from the truth) whereas I the
true-blue Aussie thought that a pine forest is the most boring place on
earth.
Regards>>>>

To add to the confusion, most places call members of the Eucalyptus
genus "gums", but here in the Eastern USA, there are two unrelated
landscaping trees - Black Gum and Sweet Gum - using the "gum"
word.

And a word about the downunder countries, especially New Zealand, but
I think somewhat in Australia:  The USA remnant pine species, the  Monterey
Pine (Pinus radiata) has been extensively used for forestry purposes,  and
grows downunder much better than it's tiny native range in Southern
California.  It has become naturalized in New Zealand.

David Strang.