[Magdalen] Enjoying a colleague's accent

Allan Carr allanc25 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 05:32:05 UTC 2015

Seeing a photo of what I've now learned was the Confederate battle flag
flying over the state capital in South Carolina reminded me that
I've casually wondered, ever since coming from Canada 70 years ago, why a
flag with what looks like a St Andrew's cross was called the stars and bars.

So, I looked it up. I don't think I'd ever seen pictures of actual
confederate flags before, which actually do have bars.

So in South Carolina they still fly a flag that was actually a battle flag,
apparently symbolizing the Civil War is actually not yet over?

--
Allan Carr