[Magdalen] Scranton

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Jun 21 17:32:39 UTC 2015

In a message dated 6/21/2015 1:20:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

>  Glass- blown, fused and other unique applications is one of the  fastest
> growing art forms today.
>  Lynn>>>>

In the olden days when I was in grammar school (1943 - 1951), and
to a lesser extent when I was in high school (1951 - 1955), there  were
itinerant specialty entertainers that were apparently sponsored by  the
State of Wisconsin Educational System.

These would highlight such as liquid Nitrogen stunts like pounding a
frozen rubber balloon into a board, etc.  One of the frequent  specialty
areas involved glass blowers.

The schools seemed not have much warning when these itinerant
entertainers would appear.

Without warning there would be an announcement overhead that all
classes were cancelled, and all students were to report to the  gymnasium
for a specialty program.  Students, of course, loved it.   Teachers, less
so.

Thinking back on these programs, they were, overall, rather bizarre
but fascinating.

But, then, probably no more bizarre to the modern mind than the  weekly
community "sings" in the same auditorium.  Can you picture  700-800
members of the village (half the total population) singing together  for
several hours once per week?

David Strang.