[Magdalen] Fwd: Re: [HoB/D] Charleston

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:49:42 UTC 2015

Some of us (who aren't that much younger than you, David!) started out on
the West Coast, or maybe in university communities--for me it happened to
be both--where there were Asians and later east Indians, so we were perhaps
more accustomed to the idea of a multi-ethnic and possibly a multicolored
America. By the time I was in high school, UW-Madison had the largest
number of Indian students in the US, so even though Madison was still
pretty white, we were sort of used to brown faces on the streets. Asians?
Not a big deal at all. There wasn't much of an African-American population
in town then, and no Hispanics to speak of. That has changed a lot.

My parents were ahead of their time, I guess, and considering that they
grew up in a very segregated state (Missouri) in a time where Jim Crow was
a fact of life, I really have to hand it to them for teaching us not to be
prejudiced. My mother was the driving force in that. She simply believed we
were all God's children and should be treated equally and that was that.
Using the n-word would get your mouth washed out just as quickly as the
f-bomb, and she used Fels-Naptha for that, so you just did not say those
words! When the grandchildren took spouses of different ethnicities, they
loved those spouses, and when the multiracial great-grandkids came along,
they loved them just like the other great-grandkids.