[Magdalen] PB

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 28 19:30:43 UTC 2015

On 28/06/2015 12:43, Ginga Wilder wrote:
> Bp Curry is authentically charismatic...in the best sense of that word.  He
> draws people, inspires people and oozes the good news.  He is also an
> evangelist is the best and original sense of that word. He is a man of deep
> joy and faith.  I believe TEC will thrive under his leadership.  I am so
> thankful he was elected Presiding Bishop.

If he is an authentic charismatic then I pray he will continue toi
preach and lead as the Spirit that blows where it will gives him
utterance.  Thirty-plus years ago I was in a diocese where the suffragan
bishop was renowned for having one sermon in tw3o versions - one for
confirmations and the other for the installation of new clergy.  That
was until a parish priest (guilty as charged m'lud) wrote to him and
said his normal sermon was not appropriate for the candidates at the
forthcoming confirmation.

The point was taken, or at least the sermon was different, but if a
bishop's sermons become a diocesan joke something is wrong.  The
preacher and the leader need to relate (as far as they can) to the
situation they are addressing.  That situation evolves and so their
response needs to evolve - as has the view of the Supreme Court in a
couple of recent judgements.

Roger