[Magdalen] Supreme Court

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Jun 29 03:29:30 UTC 2015

On 6/28/15 9:06 PM, Lesley de Voil wrote:
> I think Roger may have caught on by now, but Martin may not recognise
> that when Jim says "could care less" in Americanese he means "couldn't
> care less" in ye olde Englishe<g>

I first heard that when I was about seventeen or eighteen, in the early
sixties, when my roommate made a habit of using it.  I'd never heard it
here in Kansas, and she was an Army Brat, who'd lived all over the
world, including Japan and Maryland.  I have no idea where it started,
but I'd heard enough movies and television that I _should_ have heard
it, if it were common then.  The illogic of it bothered me then, and
it's irritated me ever since, every time I heard it.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net