[Magdalen] Supreme Court

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 29 13:35:33 UTC 2015

On 29/06/2015 14:12, ME Michaud wrote:
> My understanding is that when clergy marry a couple they are
> doing so with a license from the State. That is, all marriages are
> civil marriages (though some are blessed by the clergy).

For a marriage to be recognized legally then the person officiating at
it needs uo be authorised by the civil government to to so, and to
ensure that the ceremony complies with legal requirements. What those
requirements are will vary from place to place but are likely to include
things like the couple being old enough, not too closely related and not
already married or in a civil partnership.

In the USA one of the requirements is that the State has issued a
license for the marriage. In the Church of England most marrisages are
after ecclesiapreliminaries since these predate the establishment of a
procedure for civil marriages.

What the Supreme Court has done is to drop one of those legal
requirements - that the couple be of different genders (as officially
recognized).  Religious organizations may impose extra requirements for
marriages solemnised by one of their ministers.

Roger