[Magdalen] Conscience's clause

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Jun 29 18:52:52 UTC 2015

From: ME Michaud

>I have certainly known clergy who refused couples. Usually,
>but not always, because of previous marriages. And in one
>case when the groom showed up very drunk. Stuff happens.

As I've written before (and before Martin joined us), The Rector of Christ
Church Lynbrook refused to marry my parents, so they held the wedding at a
Lutheran Church in the next town.

I mattered not to the Rector that my Dad went off to the Army in WWI, and while
gone, his wife took up with another man and had two children by him, and even
dumped my sister with his aunt. That he was divorced was enough to refuse -- and
also tell him he should not present himself for communion.

After we moved to Smithtown the Rector and my Dad became good friends and after
Dad related why he (and my sisters) never came to church on Communion Sundays,
the Rector essentially ordered my Dad to present himself for Communion the
following Sunday!

Cheers,
Jim