[Magdalen] Conscience's clause

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 23:06:51 UTC 2015

OTOH, a young woman of my acquaintance, whom I have known since she was a
toddler, was, when she was very young, going to marry the father of her
child. After they had been to several of the required sessions of
counseling with our priest, he informed them (probably none too gently, as
it was not his way) that he would not marry them because he felt that the
young man in question was too immature and that they were doing it for the
wrong reasons, and that although they could get married elsewhere, he would
advise against it. The young woman was pretty broken up about it and went
in tears to her grandmother, who had raised her. Her grandmother, rather
than being sympathetic, sided with the priest (big surprise to me, as she
usually didn't!). It turned out that the adults were right after all, as
the young man in question took off with another young man a couple of weeks
later for parts unknown and has not been heard from since, not even when
his daughter was born.